Thursday, September 11, 2014

Late Summer

Late summer has its own type of beauty in the garden.  Less showy than spring and mid-summer, but perhaps more confident.  I like sedums for this time of year.  These plants have solid shapes and subtle coloring.  Here I have a picture of sedum 'Autumn joy' hiding under anisse hysop (which I will cut back as soon as it is clear of bees.)


The sedum flowers will become bronze-red.  I like them much more than the garish colors of mums that over-run garden centers in September and October.

I am yet again surprised by plants that I thought had died - asters.  They are a beautiful, vibrant hue; they do clash with the nearby rudbeckia.  Sometimes, those clashes are OK.


The part of my garden that I complain the most about - the pastel section - is vibrating with color.  One of the delphinium that I planted in the spring, and that was feasted upon by  a "varmint", has survived and bloomed.  Two dahlias that I bought at the Home Depot, and didn't think too much about, are also in flower.  The one in the foreground has a discordant color, but it will be beautiful in a vase.  My late Uncle Norm loved dahlias.  I am not such a big fan because they look best when you only see the flower - the stalk is not very attractive.  I have two dahlias in my other long border that have not bloomed yet.  Because they are in the back, the stalks will only bother my neighbors.


My pink turtlehead Chelone lyonii 'Hot lips' is in full bloom in my shade garden.  Pick this plant if you are looking for something other than astilbe or hosta in your less sunny sections.

 

Sadly, one of our peach trees had to be cut down.  It was so laden with fruit that a heavy rainstorm toppled the tree.  I hope that there is another peach tree in the neighborhood so that the other tree can be pollinated.  We will see what happens.  I think that we may have to plant another peach tree, and be more diligent about keeping it pruned.


My husband using the chain saw to cut down the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment