Thursday, June 19, 2014

Plants need vacations, too

Lots of us have houseplants that we put outside during the summer.  Some of mine are real troopers - they bloom indoors in less than optimal situations.  Some are stuck in my garage without any love at all for several months.  All they seem to need is some fresh air, sunlight, water, and a bit of fresh potting soil, and they are off to the races.

My geraniums ( the ones we think of as geraniums are actually pelargoniums, also know as storksbill according to Wikipedia), usually do well once they are on my front steps.  First, I cut away all of the dead leaves and stems, add some potting soil and water, and wait.  For bushier, fuller plants, I need to do some pruning.

I usually lose one plant a year.  In addition to losing a plant, I also lost a lot of soil around the plant.  Evidently, squirrels and other varmints were determined to find nuts and seed pods in the pots.

My amaryllis bloom inside in the winter, unless, of course, a plant that I decided was dead suddenly shows life, unwatered and unlit, in my garage.   This amaryllis is joined by orchids that have bloomed stoically all winter in my parched house.


I water the orchids with three ice cubes whenever they are dry.  I expect that they will bloom again before the summer is out.

The amaryllis that did bloom this winter are getting a rest in one of my borders.  I will bring them inside - either to my garage or basement - once summer starts to wind down.  There I will do my best to ignore them.  I think the key to getting amaryllis to bloom again is to wait until you see new growth before re-introducing them to water and light.
 The pots are partially hidden by liriope leaves.

My husband had luck with keeping a fuschia going all winter.  It is blooming nicely on our front porch.

We keep two hibiscus in my third floor studio all winter.  Skylights and a western window provide the most light in the house.  Each year the potted plants are hauled downstairs and placed on our front porch, where they will bloom all summer.

We are keeping our fingers crossed with two other plants - a lemon tree and an agapanthus.  They both live in our sunny den during the cold months.   The lemon tree has flowered several times, and it always looks like fruit is forming - but the fruit always falls off. 


 My sad agapanthus has yet to bloom.  Maybe it is waiting to be placed next to an infinity pool - we can all dream - even an agapanthus on vacation.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment