Thursday, June 5, 2014

Do you Believe in Miracles?

I am not sure whether I believe in miracles.  A recent observation made me think about miracles in the plant world. An anaryllis bulb that I had been too lazy to discard over a year ago (because I would have had to wash the pot it was in) was left in my garage.  A few days ago, I looked at it, and said to myself "hmm, that thing has growth - I guess I should put it in the dark basement."  WRONG.

You put amarylllis bulbs in a dark space, like a root cellar or basement, after the bulb has produced flowers and rested in the garden for the summer.  This plant was sending up shoots, and, most happily, a tip with a potential flower.

 
You can see the tip in the foreground.  The leaves are reddish instead of green because they have not gotten much sunlight.  They should green up on my covered front porch.  The plant seems to be thriving; it has grown about an inch in the last week.

I moaned and groaned about how the awful winter had killed off my two  Windflower Anemone 'September Charm' plants. So, a few weeks ago I bought a Japanese Anemone Anemone 'Queen Charlotte'.  After putting the new plant into the ground, guess what I found?  One of last year's resurrected windflowers (really, an anemone).


Do I believe in miracles now?  Maybe.  And maybe, a miracle is just the result of my laziness, and natures' mysterious ability to survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment