Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chrysanthemums

Every fall chrysanthemums arrive at the local garden center and take over.  I don't care for most of them.  The colors tend to be garish.  If they are not placed properly in a garden they distract the eye because that is all the eye goes to.  They remain stiff until they turn brown and die.  I have no problem with bringing them inside to introduce seasonal color, or to having them on a patio or porch.

It is a shame that most people associate chrysanthemums with the artificial-looking plants sold widely throughout the fall.  I do not know enough about Asian horticultural practices, but I do know that many types of chrysanthemums were used.  Flowers often had long, elegant petals. 

My garden has one long-lived, inelegant chrysanthemum that I value throughout the growing season.  It was placed years ago in the front of one of my borders.  Throughout the spring and summer it has a solid, satisfying shape.  Even though it is relatively small, it anchors the garden.  If I were to anthropomorphize it, I would call it "steadfast".  
Now that it is blooming, one of its other stellar qualities emerges - it looks good in the fall sun.  Many plants look best in the summer sun, when the angle of the rays is steeper at noon than in the fall.  The shallow angle of the fall sun promotes glare.  It is quite difficult to see plants on a sunny day - the sunlight bouncing off most leaves is almost blinding.  The chrysanthemum is easily visible in the fall sun because the flower and leaf have a matte texture.  Many summer-loving plants have shiny leaves and flowers.  I strongly recommend this plant for the front of a sunny border. 

No comments:

Post a Comment