Friday, August 29, 2014

My Shade Garden in Late Summer

Last year I visited the Cleveland Botanical Gardens and took note of shade perennials that I was not familiar with.  When I came back to Wellesley, I purchased a few of these, and have been quite happy with them.  They have come into their own this year.  Coupled with a few other plants that I have had for years, I feel that my shade area can compete with other parts of the garden.

I already had liriope, two varieties of astilbe, Euroopean ginger, and hostas.  Hidden among all of these was a stokesia (Stokes' Aster), that I moved today.

I added a Yellow Waxbell Kirengashoma palmata.  This perennial gets to be a good size - mine is about 2 feet by 2 feet.  It has pale yellow-green foliage that is not acid; the flowers are a creamy yellow.  The foliage color and broad leaves, described as "maple-like", creates a nice effect in the border.  It is distinct enough from the surrounding plants that you really notice it - always helpful to "keep the eye moving", my mantra.


I also put in two windflowers (anemone), both of which appeared to have died over the winter.  As soon as it was warm enough in the spring, I bought another one Anemone 'September Charm'.   One of the plants from last year did indeed survive; it is not tall  yet, and not blooming.  Here is a picture of the one that is blooming.


I also bought a second Pink Turtlehead Chelone lyonii 'Hot lips'.  It isn't blooming yet.  The foliage is nice, regardless, and the plant has a good, neat shape.  When it blooms, the flowers are pink.  I will take a picture and post it when it does flower.



My liriope is blooming.  The purple flowers are far from spectacular, although they add interest to the plant.  Liriope is very popular in the Georgetown section of Washington, DC, mostly in foundation plantings.  I would love to move my liriope to my foundation beds, but it is very hard to divide, and even harder to move.  I would like to thin it out, though, perhaps in the Spring.


This post is going up a day late because I lost my phone and internet moments before I was going to publish.  Here are some pictures of the huge truck, and the telephone pole that came crashing down when he snagged the wires across the street.


Who says the suburbs aren't exciting?


I don't think the trucker had a very good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment