Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hummingbird Heaven

I despaired that I would not see any hummingbirds this year.  All of the right plants are in my garden - buddleia (butterfly bush), lobelia cardinalis, garden phlox, and echinacea purpurea.  No matter, no hummingbirds.

Perhaps my cat, Jack Bauer, had scared them away.  We haven't had any goldfinches in a few years, after all.

Then, the other day, while I was picking green beans, I thought I saw a lone hummingbird startle and fly away.  Today, while waiting for a carpenter to fix part of my rood deck, I saw them - a pair of hummingbirds checking out the phlox, the buddleia, and, of course, the lobelia cardinalis.

  

As I wrote about last week, my lawn looks dreadful, I have garden patches that are way past their prime, and the most robust plants I have are weeds.  No matter, the hummingbirds are back, and I hope that they stay a while.

Not the best picture - it is hard to photograph hummingbirds.  I have been seeing one or two of them for the last several days.  The white-flowered plant is a ptatycodon (balloon flower).

No comments:

Post a Comment