Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Wallpaper

I haven't posted in a few weeks because of the incredible heat in Boston, which made it impossible to work on my computer (3rd floor study), and because of a trip to Washington, DC to help my daughter pack up her apartment.  I am also not ready to give an overview of the season.

I titled this post "Wallpaper" because that is what one section of my border looked like - safe, coordinated, boring.


The plants in front are a violet-pink veronica (one of my favorite plants - well-behaved, easy to weed around, long-blooming, and good color choices).  The chartreuse flowers behind the veronica is Lady's mantle.  Even though shorter than the veronica, it is in the back because it is not well-behaved; it spreads.   

I added begonias with white flowers and burgundy foliage in front of the veronica.  I chopped back the Lady's mantle a bit (more will be done later).  Finally, I added two delphinium 'Black Knight" Pacific Giant.

Even though the begonias have not done much yet, they add enough of a contrast to this section of the border so that it no longer looks like wallpaper.  I hope that they grow a bit more prominent.

  
Lavender to the right and phlox to the left are getting ready to bloom.  I will give an update after my next trip - this one to Fargo, North Dakota, to help my daughter move there for graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment