Sunday, June 10, 2012

Filipendula

I am not sure whether Filipendula is classified as a shrub or a perennial; maybe a shrubby perennial.  I have had it tucked into the front corner of my smaller border for years, and the only problem I have with it is that it does not like the shade from the plum tree.  There was no plum tree when I planted the filipendula; now there is a good sized happy tree that gives us wonderful plums every year.  The filipendula will just have to soldier on.

I like this plant because it has delightful, clear pink flowers.  When it is done flowering the leaves are really nice.  The plant never looks scraggly or unkempt, regardless of the time of year.  Because lilies placed behind it bloom afterwards, and a Rose of Sharon blooms after the lilies, I have a constant stream of blooms from early June to mid August in that part of the border.





.  

 Who wouldn't love that leaf?  I recommend this plant, especially for the end of a border.  It serves very well as an anchor plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment