Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Liriope

I have a tenuous relationship with the groundcover liriope.  The only reason I still have this plant is that it is so hard to dig out - and divide - and kill.  It spreads.  It is not terribly interesting for most of the summer.  I was originally attracted to it because I thought it  would lend my garden a spare, sophisticated look - the type of look  I associate with modern buildings and art museums.

I recently had a change of heart about liriope.  My husband and I were visiting our daughter in Washington DC over Labor Day weekend.  Because the weather was good, and DC is a very walkable city, we strolled through lots of neighborhoods.  The charming row houses all had nicely tended gardens - and many of them had liriope.
    However, the liriope was not planted in perennial borders, but as a groundcover with shrubs.  "That's what I can do with this plant!"  And that is what I will do with it next spring - when I hope to have enough arm  strength to dig them up and plant them in my front borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment